Vegan Cornbread Stuffing
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|26 hours||1 hour 20 mins||27 hours 20 mins|
Savory, flavorful, tender cornbread stuffing with roasted cranberries, sautéed leeks and onions, and pecans. A healthier plant-based side for any occasion.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Side
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free Optional
- 2 batches of my Perfect Vegan Cornbread or my Best Vegan Gluten Free Cornbread (I slightly prefer the Perfect Vegan Cornbread but both work)
- 12 ounces (340 g) fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water (or sub orange juice for more flavor!)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup (to taste)
- Double batch cornbread, cubed and dried at room temperature for 24 hours
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (~ 180 g or 2 cups)
- Healthy pinch each salt and black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- optional: 2/3 cup (66 g) chopped raw pecans or walnuts
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth (I prefer Imagine brand at Whole Foods)
- Make your double batch cornbread at least 1 day in advance so it can be cooled, cubed, and then left to dry at room temperature uncovered for 24 hours. This keeps the stuffing from becoming mushy, and allows the cornbread to absorb more of the vegetable broth.
- Once your cornbread has been dried, begin by preheating oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and adding cranberries to a small baking dish. Top with water (or orange juice) and 1/4 cup maple syrup. Toss to combine, then bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and soft. Set aside and reduce oven heat to 375 F (190 C).
- While cranberries are baking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, onion, leeks and a healthy pinch of salt and black pepper. Sautée, stirring frequently, until soft and fragrant. Set aside.
- Add the dried cornbread to a large mixing bowl along with leeks, thyme, and pecans or walnuts (optional). Then add another healthy pinch each salt and black pepper and the vegetable broth, starting with 1 cup (240 ml) and working your way up to 2, stirring gently as you go. You aren’t looking to make a purée out of the mixture, but rather gently toss and incorporate the flavors. I found 2 cups (480 ml) to be the perfect amount. You want the cornbread to be moistened but not saturated.
- Add cranberries and gently stir once more (In the photos I added them at the very end, but after more testing found they get better incorporated when stirred in at this point).
- Transfer a greased 9×13-inch (or similar size) baking dish (like this one), and use a spoon or spatula to spread into an even layer. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes, then uncover and bake another 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. Leftovers store well in the refrigerator up to 5 days, though best when fresh.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 12 servings.
*Prep time reflects making and drying the cornbread, as well as making the stuffing. Cook time reflects cooking the cranberries, leeks and stuffing.