Creamy Tomato Soup
|Prep Time||Total Time|
|15 mins||35 mins|
Creamy tomato soup, without cream!
Recipe type:Lunch, Dinner
- 2 Tb oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tb chopped garlic
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 3 slices cubed bread
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 Tb brown sugar
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium-low heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes to onion mixture, crushing with a potato masher. Stir bread, basil, and brown sugar into tomato mixture and simmer until bread is completely saturated and starts to break down, about 10 minutes.
- Pour tomato mixture into a blender no more than half full; add butter. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until smooth. Return pureed soup to Dutch oven over medium heat; add broth and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Note: Enjoy with raw veggies.
|Serving size:||1 serving (of 4)||Calories:||239|