Penne Pasta Salad
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 mins||20 mins||30 mins|
Wholesome and delicious classic pasta salad made with creamy pesto dressing and roasted tomatoes. Made with just 9 ingredients in 30 minutes! The perfect quick + easy side dish.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Side
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 2 cups (300 g) cherry/baby tomatoes, halved
- 12 ounces whole grain or gluten free penne pasta (I love Bionaturea Gluten Free Penne)
- 2 cups semi-packed (~120 g), fresh basil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbsp or 12 g)
- 1/4 cup (33 g) toasted pine nuts, plus more for serving (or sub raw walnuts)
- 1 lemon, juiced (~3 Tbsp or 45 ml)
- 1/4 cup (20 g) vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Pinch sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil (extra virgin is best), plus more for pasta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add tomatoes to the baking sheet and drizzle with a little oil and a pinch each salt and pepper. Arrange cut side up and roast for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom and slightly shriveled. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a generous pinch of salt. Once boiling add pasta of choice and cook according to package instructions. Then drain and set aside. Drizzle with a little olive oil and toss to prevent sticking.
- Make pesto by adding basil, garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice, vegan parmesan cheese and salt to a food processor and blending to combine. Stream in the olive oil until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. If too dry, add a little water. It should be thick but pourable (see first photo).
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, vegan parmesan cheese for cheesiness, salt for saltiness, or garlic for bite/spice. Set aside.
- Add cooked pasta and roasted tomatoes to a mixing/serving bowl and top with pesto. Toss to combine and enjoy immediately. Garnish with extra vegan parmesan cheese and/or fresh parsley or basil (optional).
- Best when fresh, though leftovers keep in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Enjoy at room temperature for best flavor/texture.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 servings calculated with whole grain penne and all of the pesto and tomatoes, but no additional toppings.
*Pesto adapted from my Vegan Pesto Parmesan Breadsticks.
|Serving size:||1/6th of recipe (~ 1 cup)||Calories:||352|