Pea Pesto Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Arugula
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 mins||15 mins||30 mins|
Amazing, 30-minute pea pesto pasta that’s vegan, gluten free, and tossed with arugula and sun-dried tomatoes. A hearty, flavorful plant-based meal or side.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 cups (95 g), packed basil
- 1/2 cup (30 g), packed flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 cup (126 g) green peas (if frozen, thawed)
- 4 cloves garlic (2 Tbsp or 12 g)
- 1/4 cup (33 g) toasted pine nuts, plus more for serving (or sub raw walnuts, but omit as garnish)
- 1 lemon, juiced (~2 Tbsp or 30 ml)
- 1/4 cup (20 g) vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Pinch sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 10 ounces (283 g) gluten free pasta
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup (28 g) sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) arugula, organic when possible
- Fill a large saucepan 3/4 full with water, salt generously, and bring to a boil.
In the meantime, prepare pesto. To a food processor, add basil, parsley, peas, garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice, vegan parmesan cheese and sea salt. Mix to combine. While the machine is running, stream in olive oil through the spout.
Continue blending, scraping down sides as needed, until creamy and fully combined. If it has trouble blending add a bit more olive oil or water.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity/brightness, vegan parmesan for cheesy flavor, salt for saltiness, or peas for sweetness.
Next add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Be sure not to overcook, and drain when noodles are ‘al dente’ and still have a slight bite to them. Return to pan off heat and set aside.
Once your pasta is drained, heat a large saucepan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant but not yet browned.
Turn off heat and remove skillet from burner, then add cooked pasta and toss to coat.
Transfer to a serving platter or mixing bowl and add 3/4 of pea pesto and the arugula. Toss to combine.
Serve warm with additional pesto on the side, and garnish generously with additional parsley, pine nuts, and vegan parmesan cheese.
Best when fresh, though leftovers will keep in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Enjoy chilled or at room temperature.
*Recipe inspired by Minimalist Baker‘s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Pasta and adapted from her Vegan Pesto Parmesan Breadsticks.
*This recipe yields enough for 2-3 entrée portions, or 4-5 side dish portions. Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 4 total servings.
|Serving size:||1/4 of recipe*||Calories:||552|